Key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Perform the role of Chairperson for HREC-M,
Oversee the preparation and distribution of the agenda for the HREC-M meetings,
Ensure that wise, reasonable, and timeous decisions are made in the HREC-M that conform to national and international law and university guidelines, policies, procedures, etc.,
Interact with the national and international structures related to ethics in research and to provide leadership in developing national and university standards,
Support and lead efforts to promote high standards of research integrity across the University,
Act as a participant or assessor in other Wits research ethics committees (RECs) when then need arise,
Assist in reporting on the state of research integrity at Wits through the Office: Research Integrity,
Provide independent input in cases of breaches and misconduct of research integrity standards.
Candidates must have:
1. A PhD or equivalent qualification in a relevant field of study,
2. A significant track record of independent, high quality and sustained research as demonstrated through peer reviewed publications and postgraduate student supervision,
3. An in-depth knowledge and experience of the standards used in research ethics, particularly in the field of health sciences,
4. Experience of Wits University committee system,
5. Excellent writing and speaking skills in English,
6. Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice.
Desirable Additional Requirements:
It would be an advantage to a candidate if he/she had:
1. Completed any postgraduate studies in ethics,
2. An ability to persuade and convince academics / researchers of the importance of high standards of participant protections and high levels of research integrity.
For more information please contact Ms. Veronica Klipp: firstname.lastname@example.org