The Angela and David Fine Chair in Innovation has been established as a new position. The successful candidate will report to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research and Innovation. The incumbent will fill the role as Director of the new Wits Innovation Centre (WIC). The duties of the incumbent will include:
· Overseeing the overall operation of the WIC including the development of an annual plan and budget, and monitoring the implementation of this plan.
· Carrying overall responsibility of the WIC and its operations and for achieving targets against key performance indicators (KPIs).
· Developing policies, procedures and guidelines to enable and enhance innovation at Wits.
· Liaising with Wits management, faculties, schools and other entities as the key point of contact between the WIC and the University.
· Nurturing and growing key external relationships and engagements with industry, government and international partners.
· Liaising with local and international counterparts who drive innovation in the industrial, corporate and academic contexts.
· Carrying responsibility for fundraising efforts and ensuring the financial sustainability of the WIC, and associated initiatives in support of innovation at Wits.
The person appointed to this position must have experience in a commercial or industrial role and a strong track record in successful innovation and entrepreneurship within the context of a top academic or research institution. They should also have a PhD degree. The incumbent will be a thought-leader and game-changer able to provide leadership at Wits as the University fosters innovation.
A competitive remuneration package is offered commensurate with similar positions in South African Universities. This is a 5 year fixed term contract.
All enquiries and applications are treated as confidential. Further information about the position can be obtained from the Emeritus Professor Barry Dwolatzky email firstname.lastname@example.org